Stream This Episode On Demand
It’s another great shift inside the Home for New & Independent Blues Music, this week, with some stellar tracks composing this show’s playlist. There are a few big names, several truly independent artists, and a wide spectrum of Blues styles.This week’s featured selection from inside “Johnny’s Mailbox” is “Trouble No More.” The new version of the Muddy Waters classic comes from the brand new album For Pops: A Tribute To Muddy Waters. That album is by Mud Morganfield and Kim Wilson, and it is available from Severn Records beginning August 19, 2014.
In the liner notes to this CD, it is noted that following Severn releases individually by both Mud Morganfield and Kim Wilson’s Fabulous Thunderbirds, the label was overwhelmed with messages clamoring for Mud and Kim to collaborate. The two delightfully agreed, and the sessions were described a variety of ways, including magical, relaxed, and a true family affair. The top tier band assembled for these sessions all recorded live to tape in the same room, to capture the magic of the moment and the love of the music.
For Pops features 14 songs, mixing Muddy’s own compositions and songs from others that he recorded in his lifetime. There’s also a wide selection of tracks from his catalog, as opposed to running down his greatest hits. The album is highly anticipated, and will be regarded as one of the year’s best. Make sure to check out the video below this week’s playlist from Mud Morganfield’s official YouTube channel, featuring another song off this album.
1. Ray Bonneville – Lone Freighter’s Wail – Easy Gone
2. Steve Freund with Gloria Hardiman – That’s All Right – Set Me Free
3. The MacKenzie Blues Band – Aint Tryin To Hide – Slam! Bam!
4. Laura Rain and the Caesars – Closer – Closer
5. Eddie Cotton – Leave Love Alone – Here I Come
6. Catl – Shakin’ House Blues – This Shkin’ House
7. Luther Dickinson – Bar Band – Rock ‘N Roll Blues
8. Jimmy Thackery – Coffee and Chicken – Wide Open
9. Ty Curtis – All It Took – Water Under The Bridge
10. Bob Stroger & Kenny “Beedy Eyes” Smith – Clever Mama – Keepin’ It Together
11. Keb’ Mo’ – Do It Right – BluesAmericana
12. Dave “Hurricane” Hoerl – Pure & Simple Blues – Un-Twisted
13. Mud Morganfield & Kim Wilson – Trouble No More – For Pops: A Tribute To Muddy Waters
You Might Also Like: