This week brings us the semi-annual Thanksgiving edition of the program, featuring a mouth-watering selection of songs in all flavors of the Blues. It’s an impressive spread of food themed tracks for your holiday season soundtrack, with all but two of the songs coming off 2015 releases – an impressive feat for a themed episode.
We were fortunate to even have a featured selection from “Johnny’s Mailbox” that fits right in with the Thanksgiving topic. “Mama’s Cookin'” comes off the new album by Brad Vickers & His Vestapolitans. The new CD, That’s What They Say, is available now from ManHatTone, and it includes 15 songs. You’ll find guests on this disc like Gina Sicilia, Mike Welch, and Dave Gross. As always, Brad Vickers and company create original music and play covers that keep the American Roots music traditions of the past alive.
“Mama’s Cookin'” is a tribute to mothers everywhere who strive to keep our bellies full. It was written by the Vestapolitans’ Margey Peters, and she also takes lead vocals on the tune. Other than the opening cover of Tampa Red’s “Seminole Blues” and the traditional song “Don’t You Love Your Daddy No More,” all of the songs on the record are original compositions. You can learn more about Brad Vickers & His Vestapolitans, That’s What They Say, and the tour schedule online at BradVickers.com
In addition to the music, I found a fascinating short film about the history of poke sallet, or polk salad. This video is courtesy of the Southern Foodways Alliance and Joe York. Enjoy the video, and consider making this southern favorite a part of your spread.
1. Crissinger – I Love To Eat – Blues Expression
2. Lil Ed and the Blues Imperials – Chicken, Gravy and Biscuits –
The Best Of Lil Ed And The Blues Imperials (2015)
3. The Texas Horns – Home Cookin – Blues Gotta Holda Me
4. Smokin’ Joe Kubek & Bnois King – Cornbread – Fat Man’s Shine Parlor
5. Lonnie Mack ft. Stevie Ray Vaughan – Oreo Cookie Blues – Best Of Lonnie Mack (2015)
6. Georgie Bonds – Butter Your Biscuit – Hit It Hard
7. James Burton, Albert Lee, Amos Garrett, David Wilcox – Polk Salad Annie –
8. The Alastair Greene Band – Red Wine Woman – Trouble At Your Door
9. The Beat Daddys – Pie or Cake – Hoodoo That We Doo
10. Ronnie Earl & the Broadcasters – Puddin’ Pie – Good News
11. Delta Moon – Jelly Roll – Low Down
12. Brad Vickers & His Vestapolitans – Mama’s Cookin’ – That’s What They Say
You Might Also Like: